CLICK HERE FOR HISTORIC PELHAM WEB SITE
HISTORY OF PELHAM
was excerpted from The Pelham Manor Story, James B. Saunders,
Ed., Village of Pelham Manor, 1991.
|EARLY PELHAM MANOR
11, 1654, Thomas Pell negotiated a treaty with Wampage, Chief
of all the Siwanoy Indians and acquired title to about 50,000
acres including all of today's Bronx and everything east of the
Hutchinson River north to Mamaroneck. Pell took possession of
his property and called it "Pelham" in honor his tutor
challenged almost immediately by the Dutch who sent the Marshall
of the Dutch Court in March 1655 with a court order stating that
the English were trespassing on Dutch territory. Pell refused
to accept the Dutch order and for the next several years they
tried unsuccessfully to dislodge him. Finally, on September 21,
1664 English warships, supported by a militia unit called the
Westchester Trained Band and led by Thomas Pell, sailed into the
harbor of New Amsterdam and accepted the surrender of Governor
|THE BATTLE OF PELHAM
to Pelham Manor on October 18, 1776 when Sir William Howe, Commander-in-Chief
of the British army, landed 4,000 English and Hessian troops near
the stables on Pelham Parkway in an action which became the first
permanent invasion of the American mainland in the American Revolution.
was to outflank the American army by marching west across today's
Bronx along the Boston Post Road. This would also cut off Washington's
vital supply route from New England and enable the British to
surround Washington and quickly end the rebellion. However, 600
tough seaman from the Boston area, led by Colonel John Glover,
and fighting from behind Pelham Manor's stone walls put an end
to Howe's plan and saved Washington's army.
The main significance of the Battle of Pelham lay in the fact
that it bought time for Washington to remove the American army
from an extremely perilous position and to retreat to White Plains.
It is for this reason that the Battle of Pelham has been called
the battle that saved the American Revolution.
to resident's demands for improved fire and police protection, as
well as water, gas and electricity, Pelham Manor was incorporated
as a village. The election for incorporation was held at the Pelham
Manor School House on Monday, June 8, 1891. The official incorporation
date for the Village is July 6, 1891.